This Cross is a gift from the Santa Teresa Mission in Alice Springs to the Spirituality Centre.
Originally known as ‘The Cenacle’, Santa Teresa was built by the Cenacle Sisters in 1984 and operated by them until 2006. When they decided to return to New Zealand, the Archdiocese purchased the property for use as a retreat centre.
Situated on 1.7 hectares with commanding views of Moreton Bay, Santa Teresa’s neighbours are the heritage-listed ‘Ormiston House’ and the Carmelite Sisters’ Monastery.
The natural beauty and serenity of Santa Teresa lends itself perfectly to those seeking closer union with God.
The name Santa Teresa links it to the Santa Teresa Indigenous Parish Mission 50 kilometres outside Alice Springs. This connection with our indigenous people is very significant, because the first Catholic mission to the Indigenous people in Queensland was established on nearby Stradbroke Island by Archbishop Polding of Sydney in 1843.